Camera Hannah - Alternative Wedding Photography Derby UK: On Timelessness

Tuesday 1 July 2014

On Timelessness

Timelessness. Some grand and eternal fairytale. Separate and still.  Classic, transcending era. Untouched. That's what wedding photography should be, right?

No. That's not  it. At least not for me. I don't want to tell that story. Because if I'm busy trying to create that illusion of timeless grandeur... I'm missing something so much more. What even is timelessness? A nonsense word and an impossible pursuit. It could almost be anyone, anywhere any time. That's not what I'm there for. I'm there for that time. That place in time is everything. The time of year you chose. The way the sky looked, the gamble you took with the weather. The haircuts. The fashions. The things you chose to express yourselves with. The cameras your guests brought. The babies whose sudden progress in the years to come will age you more than any photo of yourself could. Your family. The people you survived your youth with, the shared guilt and sadness that it's been too long and knowing it  could be too long again... But they're  here now and it suddenly feels like not a day has gone by. The bittersweet moments and notable absences. No credits that roll, not the end of something but a milestone, a chance to celebrate and make memories that will sit amongst many others good and bad.

"We'll collect the moments one by one, I guess that's how the future's done"

  Timelessness supposedly separates things from time... It leaves them unaffected as time goes on. They stand still.... I can't think of anything I want less from my work. I want your photos to move with you, to grow in significance as the things around you grow and life's good and bad
shapes your perspective. And one day years down the line when those images of those daft things, the incidental and monumental are no longer yours... There's an honest, heartfelt record left that shows so much more. Not untouched, not untouchable. Here's to the timely.

4 comments: